Recipe: Crockpot Beef Stew
Who doesn t appreciate a good crockpot meal on a chilly evening? It s the best feeling ever when you ve had a long, tiring day and you walk in the house, catch a whiff of deliciousness and remember that dinner is already made! You can kick off your shoes, sit back and relax with a bowl of something warm like this Crockpot Beef Stew!
What you need:
- 1/2 cup flour
- salt & pepper
- 2 lb lean beef stew meat (such a chuck roast), cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 can (10 oz) cream of mushroom soup
- 1 package dry onion soup mix
- 10 oz milk
- 1 lb potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 lb carrots, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 8oz container sliced Baby Bella mushrooms
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Optional: Jasmine Rice
- Mix flour with about 2 teaspoons salt & pepper and then toss beef in flour mixture until coated. I do this in tupperware with a lid and shake it but you can also do it in a ziploc bag.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Lightly brown all sides of the meat and then transfer meat to the crockpot.
- In the same pan, saute garlic and onion on medium heat for 3-5 minutes. If pan is dry, you may need to add remaining tablespoon of olive oil here. Reduce heat to low and add mushroom soup and onion soup mix to pan. Fill soup can with milk and pour in the pan. Mix together well.
- Add potatoes, carrots, celery and mushrooms to the crockpot. Pour soup mixture over everything in the crockpot and stir until meat and veggies are evenly coated.
- Add 2 whole bay leaves, pour water over everything and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- About one hour before serving, add a cup of frozen peas to the stew. Remove the bay leaves before serving.
I serve this over jasmine rice but it s also great on it s own! Enjoy!